What You Need:
- Thaumatrope pattern
- Card paper
- Felt pens
- Hole punch
- Cut out the template and stick it on card paper.
- Using a hole punch, punch holes through the small circles marked on the patterns.
- Glue the two sides of the patterns together, matching the holes.
- Attach a short length of string through each hole.
- Hold the strings between your fingers and twist them to wind up the toy.
- Let it unwind quickly and watch the two pictures merge into one.
- Now try making your own designs!
A thaumatrope is a toy consisting of a disk or card with an image on each side. This disk is attached to two pieces of string. When the strings are twirled quickly between the fingers, the two images appear to combine into a single image.