The main job of event planners is to put the event details together and ensure that nothing goes wrong.
What is event management all about?
Event managers plan, organise and coordinate all sorts of events - conferences, corporate meetings, exhibitions, parties, concerts and festivals. At times they oversee every detail of the event right from marketing, catering, promotion and advertisement to technical requirements, sending invitations, getting sponsorships, logistics, decorating the venue, hiring performers, setting the stage and arranging for essential transport, while keeping the budget in mind. Sometimes they may also take up just the logistics of the event. An event manager must therefore understand the needs of his clients when organising an event. Preparations for an event can start as long as three to six months in advance like it does for the Mumbai Marathon. Event managers must therefore be completely perfect at their job as events are live and there is no time for re-takes.
What opportunities does a career in event management offer?
As an event manager you can work in event management companies, corporate houses, hotels, clubs and resorts, public relations firms, ad agencies and media houses. You could even float your own company and work in niche markets like kiddie parties, fashion events or product launches.
What are the skills required for a career in event management?
- You must be well organised.
- You must have excellent presentation and communication skills. Some knowledge of marketing and press relations can come handy.
- Event management requires long hours of work, especially just before an event.
- Creativity is essential.
- Last minute problems are common in this field. Crisis management is thus a skill one must posses.
What qualifications should you have?
- Event managers come from a variety of backgrounds and a specialised degree in the subject is not always necessary.
- A post-graduate degree in business administration, marketing, tourism or hospitality administration can be an added advantage.
- Students from mass media and catering are often good at this job.
Shellar, Ahmedabad - 380058
Event Management Development Institute Mumbai Branch
IES Management College, Opposite Lilavati Hospital,
Bandra Reclamation, Mumbai - 400050
Tel: (022)26550808 / 26427171 / 26401863
Other branches in Bangalore, Pune and Hyderabad
International Institute of Event Management
SNDT Women's University,
Juhu Campus, Juhu Tara Road,
Santacruz (W), Mumbai - 400049
National Institute of Event Management
Ground floor, Nandavan building,
Mumbai - 400056
Tel: (022)26716676 / 26282928