What You Need:
- Glass bottle
- First place an egg into a bowl of vinegar and let it sit for about 2 days. The vinegar will soften the eggshell, but leave it intact.
- Next, take a clean empty glass bottle and ask an adult to help you heat it in a big pot of boiling water.
- With the help of an adult, carefully remove the bottle and place it on the kitchen counter.
- Hold the egg on top of the bottle.
- As the bottle cools, it will contract and will suck the softened egg into the opening.
The vinegar softens the hard, calcium eggshell and the expansion and contraction of the bottle, caused by heating and cooling respectively, causes the egg to get sucked into the bottle.