What You Need:
- Lit candle
- Transparent glass
- Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- Vinegar (weak acetic acid)
- Ask a parent or adult to help you with this experiment
- In the glass, mix together a little baking soda and vinegar.
- Tilt this immediately over the lit candle.
- The flame will get extinguished.
When you mix baking soda and vinegar together, you produce carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide is heavier than air, so it will sit in the bottom of the glass. When you pour the gas from the glass onto the candle, you are pouring out the carbon dioxide, which will sink and replace the oxygen containing air surrounding the candle with carbon dioxide. This suffocates the flame, causing it to go out.