What You Need:
- Cooking oil
- Clear plastic container (like a glass or cup)
- Pour some water into the clear plastic container.
- Add some cooking oil.
- Leave this for a few minutes. After a few minutes the oil will have risen to the top of the container. (The oil is lighter than the water).
- Put the container into the freezer compartment of the refridgerator for a few hours.
- Remove from the freezer. The oil is now underneath the water.
Water solidifies when it freezes. Water expands when it freezes and becomes less dense than oil. This causes water to rise to the top.