What You Need:
- Disposable plastic cup
- Epsom salts
- Paper towels and water
- Take 1/2 cup of Epsom salts and add 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Stir the hot water and Epsom salts well till the salt dissolves.
- Cool the mixture in the refrigerator for four hours.
- When you remove the cup you will find a beautiful cluster of needle-shaped crystals at the bottom of the cup.
- At this point, carefully pour the water into the sink.
- Then cut the side of the cup, so that you can lift the crystals out of the cup.
- Place them on a couple of folded paper towels to let them dry.
Solubility is tied to temperature. The hotter the water is, the better it is at dissolving the Epsom salts. This happens till the solution reaches an equilibrium. When you put the cup in the refrigerator, the heat energy moves to the surrounding area. With less heat energy in the water, the balance shifts again and the Epsom salts join together to form a new equilibrium thus forming crystals. You can place the crystals back into the cup and add warm water to dissolve the crystals and then refrigerate them to form new crystals.