What You Need:
- Metal cookie sheet
- Fill the glass full with dry beans.
- Add enough water to fill it to the top and place the glass in the centre of the metal pan.
- Put it in a corner where you can observe it.
- After a few hours, you will hear a clink as one of the beans falls out of the glass onto the pan.
- Then you will hear another. Over the next few hours, you will continue to hear the sounds of the beans falling.
The dry beans absorb the water to start the process of sprouting. The water softens the cells and is absorbed into them by the process of osmosis. This causes the cells to expand, making the beans larger.