What You Need:
- Black chart paper
- Old pizza box
- Aluminium foil
- Water and plastic wrap
- Stick the black chart paper on the inside bottom of the pizza box.
- Stick the aluminum foil on the inside top of the pizza box. Keep the foil as flat as possible. Any wrinkles will decrease the amount of sunlight collected.
- Position the lid so that it reflects the sunlight onto the black chart paper.
- Put a glass of water in the box.
- Cover the entire box with plastic wrap.
- The temperature inside the box will reach in excess of 150 degree Celsius.
Thermal collectors come in many shapes and forms but each of them works in the same basic manner. Thermal collectors concentrate sunlight using a mirror or reflective metal surface. Then, they attempt to collect or reflect as much sunlight as possible into a smaller, concentrated space. They also use some sort of black surface to convert the sunlight to heat. Black absorbs sunlight and when it does, it gets very hot. Afer the sunlight is collected and turned into heat, the heat that is produced is trapped, usually using a clear plastic or glass covering to hold the heat in.