What You Need:
- TEST 1:
- Take 2 cups of water.
- Place about a tablespoon of salt in one of the cups.
- Place both cups in the freezer.
- Check each cup every 10 minutes. Can you guess which one will freeze first?
- TEST 2:
- Now take the ice cube out of the freezer.
- Place the ice cube on a plate and begin sprinkling salt on the ice cube. What do you see?
Salt lowers the freezing point of water. Normally, water freezes when the temperature reaches about 0�C. But when you mix salt with water, you actually lower this freezing point. Salty water will freeze but the temperature needs to be much colder than it would fornormal water. The more salt you add, the colder it must get before the water freezes.