We observe the sky at night and are often astonished by its beauty. But did you know that this can be an interesting hobby too? The act of observing the night sky is called stargazing.
THINGS YOU SHOULD DO BEFORE YOU STARGAZE FOR THE FIRST TIME
- Read about astronomy and get familiar with space. You could read books or search the Internet.
- Visit a planetarium. Itís a great place to get familiar with stars.
- Get hold of a star map and learn more about the solar system and constellations.
THINGS TO REMEMBER WHILE STARGAZING
- Keep all bright lights out of sight.
- The sky should be as clear as possible.
- You need a good horizon. So the terrace of a high-rise building should be ideal.
EQUIPMENTS WHICH CAN BE OF HELP
- For starters, binoculars are best as they help you to see lunar craters. They are also good for observing nebulae and comets.
- Telescopes will give you the best view. You can observe planets, moon, galaxies and nebulae through them.
PLACES WHICH CAN BE OF USE
Mumbai: Wild Escapes, 207, Hanuman Industrial Estate, Wadala, Mumbai - 400031. Tel: 022-66635228/24122030
Delhi: Call Vishnu Rethinam on 09810468073 for information.
Ahmedabad: Manoj Pai, T-15 Sunrise Park Tenements, PO Bodakdev, Ahmedabad - 380054.