What You Need:
- 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup refined flour (maida)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Chocolate curls or grated chocolate
- ½ cup tinned cherries
Method:A recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor MasterChef, Author and Television Host
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line the base and grease a deep 8-inch round cake tin.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and pale. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder over the egg mixture and fold in gently, adding the milk as you mix.
- Transfer the batter to the cake tin. Bake for 30 minutes, or until springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Turn out onto a wire rack, peel off the paper base and leave to cool.
- Cut the cake in half horizontally and sprinkle each half with cherry syrup from the tinned cherries. Whip the cream until stiff. Place the bottom half of the cake on a serving plate and spread half the whipped cream over it. Cover with the top half of the cake. Use the remaining cream to cover the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate the gâteau with chocolate curls and cherries and chill in the refrigerator before serving.