What You Need:
For the Modak Dough:
For the Modak Dough:
- ¾ cup Basmati rice flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon oil + for greasing
- Pure ghee, for serving
For the Stuffing:
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1½ cups scraped fresh coconut
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- 1 tablespoon roasted poppy seeds (khus khus)
- A pinch of green cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- Ask a parent or adult to help you with this recipe.
- Heat ¾ cup of water with salt and 1 teaspoon oil in a deep non-stick pan.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and add the rice flour in a steady flow, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming. Cover the pan with a deep lid and pour some water into the lid. Cook on a low heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid, sprinkle some cold water on the rice flour and cover again with the lid with water in it and cook for another 3 minutes. Repeat this process twice more. Take the pan off the heat and keep it covered for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture onto a large plate, grease your palms with oil and knead the dough till smooth and pliable. The dough should not stick to your palms. Rest the dough covered with a damp cloth.
- To make the stuffing, combine the coconut and jaggery in a non-stick pan and cook on a medium heat till most of the moisture dries up. Make sure that you do not overcook the mixture. Add the roasted poppy seeds, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder and mix well. Take the pan off the heat, add the chocolate and mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the coconut mixture into 8 equal portions. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape them into balls.
- Grease your fingers and shape each ball into a deep bowl of 3-inch diameter. Press the edges to reduce the thickness.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre, pleat the edges of the dough neatly, sealing them well as you go along. Pinch the top to form a tip.
- Heat sufficient water in a steamer. Place the modaks on a perforated plate, place the plate in the steamer and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve the hot modaks drizzled with pure ghee.