What You Need:
- Refined flour (maida) - 2 cups
- Frozen butter, chopped - 125gms
- Castor sugar - 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
- Egg, lightly beaten - 1
- Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon filling
- Strawberry jam - 4 to 5 tablespoons
- Unsalted butter, softened - 50 gms
- Icing sugar - half cup
- Ask a parent or adult to help with this recipe.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips. Add the sugar, egg and vanilla essence and mix till the dough is soft.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease two baking trays.
- Roll out the dough thinly on a lightly floured surface and cut into two-and-a-half inch rounds. You should get around 30 rounds.
- Place 15 rounds on a baking tray. With a small three-fourth inch heart-shaped cookie cutter cut out the centres of the remaining rounds. Place the cut-out rounds on the second baking tray. Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until pale golden. Remove and transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- For the filling, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Spread the butter cream evenly on the whole cookies. Spoon a little jam over the butter cream, place the cut-out cookies on top, pressing gently so that the jam fills the heart-shaped space.
Recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor, Master Chef, Author & Television Host