What You Need:
- Wheat flour - 1 3/4 cups
- Gram flour - 2 tablespoons
- Coriander powder - 2 tablespoons
- Red chilli powder - 3 teaspoons
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Pure ghee - 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds, crushed - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds, crushed - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chillies, chopped - 2
- Oil to deep fry
- Ask a parent or adult to help with this recipe
- Combine the gram flour, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt in a deep bowl.
- Heat the ghee in a kadai and add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric powder and green chillies. Saute for half a minute.
- Add the gram flour mixture and cook on medium heat till it is lightly browned and emits a nice aroma.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool. Divide it into 8 portions.
- In a separate bowl, take wheat flour and salt. Add sufficient water and knead into a soft and smooth dough. Cover with a damp cloth and rest the dough for 10 minutes.
- Divide the wheat flour dough into 8 portions. Roll out each into a 3-inch disc and place a portion of the gram flour mixture in the centre. Gather the edges and seal. Roll it into a ball and roll out again into a small puri.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai. Deep fry the puris till golden brown. Drain and place on an absorbent paper.
- Serve hot.
Cumin seeds are very high in vitamin A and C and iron content. They are a good blood purifier and also help cool the system.