What You Need:
- 8 idlis, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil + for deep-frying
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh coriander leaves + for garnishing
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Ask a parent or adult to help you with this recipe.
Method:A recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor Master Chef, Author and Television Host
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai. Put the idli pieces in and deep-fry them till they are golden brown and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the curry leaves and let them crackle.
- Add the asafoetida and sauté. Add the chopped onion and sauté till it is golden brown. Add the green chillies and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomato and sauté till soft and pulpy. Add the chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the salt and mix. Add the fried idlis and mix. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the spring onion greens and 1 teaspoon coriander leaves and mix. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Line a serving platter with a banana leaf, put the masala idli fry on top and serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.