What You Need:
- Onions, sliced - 2 medium
- Tomatoes, sliced - 5 medium
- Brown bread buns - 8
- Oil - 2 tablespoons + to shallow fry
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar - 2 teaspoons
- Butter as required
- Ask a parent or adult to help with this recipe
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds and when they change colour add onions and saute till the onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes, salt and red chilli powder and mix. Add sugar and mix. Slit the buns without cutting through.
- Heat a non-stick tawa. Apply a little butter and some of the onion-tomato mixture on the inner side of the buns. Place them on the tawa and drizzle a little oil or butter. Press them lightly, turn over and roast till both sides are crisp. Serve hot.
Tomatoes are not as high in nutrients as other vegetables but they are the leader where vitamin C is concerned.A medium tomato (120gms) contains about 23mgs of vitamin C. The vitamin C in tomatoes helps absorb iron.