What You Need:
- Fresh spinach leaves, blanched - 20 to 25
- American corn - 1/2 cup
- Grated cheese - 1/2 cup
- Brown bread slices - 8
- Olive oil + to cook - 1 tablespoon
- Onion - 1/2 medium
- Black pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves - 2
- Green chilli - 1
- Salt to taste
- Ask a parent or adult to help with this recipe
- Boil the corn in a microwave oven. Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a non-stick pan, add the onion and garlic and saute. Chop the blanched spinach leaves and add.
- Chop the green chilli, add and mix. Remove the corn from the microwave oven, drain and add along with salt and pepper powder and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl, add cheese and mix.
- Spread the mixture evenly on 4 slices of bread and cover with the remaining slices. Drizzle some olive oil over each sandwich.
- Heat a sandwich griller, drizzle some olive oil over it and grill the sandwiches till both sides are evenly golden.
- Cut each sandwich into 3 strips and serve hot.
Corn or maize is a grain that was domesticated by indigenous peoples in Mesoamerica in prehistoric times. The leafy stalk produces ears, which contain seeds called kernels. Each ear contains 200 to 400 kernels and is 10 to 25cms in length. Corn is available in various colors. The better known are blackish, bluish-grey, purple, green, red, white and yellow. The sweet corn that we consume is a genetic variant that accumulates more sugar and less starch in the ear and is consumed as a vegetable. Maize is increasingly being used for the production of ethanol fuel.