What You Need:
- 750 grams sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds ( saunf)
- 1 tablespoon split Bengal gram (chana dal)
- 1 tablespoon rice
- 5 to 6 black peppercorns
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 6 dried red chillies
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- Oil to shallow fry
- 1 cup semolina ( rawa)
- Ask a parent or an adult to help you with the recipe
- Dry roast the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, chana dal, rice, peppercorns, curry leaves and red chillies till fragrant. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Put ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, salt and tamarind pulp into a mixer jar. Add the roasted spices and a little water and grind to a fine paste.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into finger shapes. Parboil the sweet potatoes with¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and salt. You can also parboil them whole after peeling and then cut them into thick wedges if you like.
- Put the ground masala into a large bowl, add the sweet potato fingers and a little salt and mix well so that all the wedges are well coated with the masala. Rest for ½ hour in the refrigerator.
- Heat sufficient oil in a non-stick pan. Roll the fingers in rawa and shallow fry, turning a few times, till golden on all sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.