July 01, 2022
- Justin Bieber recently announced that he had to cancel his concerts as he is suffering from Ramsay Hunt syndrome.
- Ramsay Hunt syndrome is an uncommon neurological disorder caused by the varicella-zoster virus. The virus infects a nerve in the head near the inner ear, causing facial paralysis.
- The varicella-zoster virus is the same virus that causes chickenpox or shingles and it can lay dormant in the nerves and reactivate years later, leading to this condition.
- The symptoms include rashes inside the ear canal and outside the ear, vertigo, pain, hearing loss, loss of taste, dysarthria (inability to speak clearly), dry eye and teary eye.
- Antiviral medicines, steroids and physiotherapy are used to treat the condition. The sooner the condition is detected, the better are the chances of recovery.
Image Source: instagram.com