- 1 cup masoor dal, cooked in 4 cups water
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size tomato, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, add the oil and sauté the ginger, garlic and onion till golden brown.
- Add the cumin seeds, chilli powder, red chilli flakes and turmeric powder and sauté well.
- Into this mixture, add the tomatoes and allow them to cook for a while.
- Add the cooked dal with all the water.
- Use a hand blender to blend the mixture.
- Take it out in a bowl and garnish it with some coriander leaves. You could also add some fried onions. Your soup is ready.
Manju Jisto is a former learning support teacher who has turned to food photography and food blogging; she is also a health coach. She currently lives in Dubai, UAE. She firmly believes that healthy eating shouldn’t be boring. Follow her on Instagram @tealthy_
ACTIVITY: It’s Hot
Make a list of any 10 chillies found in India and the state to which they belong.
Example: Name of Chilli – Bydgi; State – Maharashtra