- 1½ cups boiled chickpeas
- 1 cup diced tofu
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 1 red tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon jaggery powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Salt to taste
- To make the masala, heat some oil, add the green chilli and garlic and caramelise them. Set aside a few caramelised garlic pieces for the garnish.
- To the same pan, add the shallots and sauté for a minute. Add the chopped tomato and cook till tender.
- Now add chilli flakes, black pepper powder, chilli powder and salt and cook.
- Add the tomato puree and jaggery along with chilli sauce and soya sauce.
- After a minute of cooking, turn off the flame and cool. Make a paste of the cooked masala along with 2 to 3 tablespoons of boiled chickpeas.
- Pour the paste back into the pan and bring it to a simmer. Add the boiled chickpeas and diced tofu.
- Add salt and adjust the seasoning, add some vegetable stock or water and when it starts bubbling, add the chopped green onions and lemon juice and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with the caramelised garlic that was set aside and sesame seeds.
- Serve with toast, roti or fried rice. Your protein-rich meal is ready.
ACTIVITY: It’s Hot Hot Hot!
Name 5 of the spiciest chillies found in India.