For the Parantha Dough:
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- 1 teaspoon oil
For the Parantha Stuffing:
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dry coriander seeds, crushed
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mint powder
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi powder
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- A pinch of hing powder (asafoetida)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Black and white sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Whole wheat flour, for dusting
- Oil, as needed
- Butter or ghee for cooking
- In a mixing bowl, add the whole wheat flour, water and salt as needed to prepare a soft dough.
- Add a few drops of oil and let it rest covered for 5 to 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal balls.
- To prepare the stuffing, in a mixing bowl add the mashed potato and all the ingredients as listed except the sesame seeds. Mix everything together.
- To make the parantha, roll out a ball of dough as thinly as possible. Dust with additional flour as needed.
- Now apply ½ teaspoon of oil all over
- From the edge, start folding and pleating the rolled dough. You can also fold it like a paper fan. Roll the pleated dough into a tight circle. Join the edges.
- Roll it out again.
- Generously top it with the prepared stuffing, placing it as evenly as possible.
- From the edge, start folding and pleating the rolled dough into a tight circle. Join
- Dust some flour and roll it out again to a diameter of about 7 inches with 2 to 3mm thickness.
- Sprinkle some white and black sesame seeds on it and give it a last roll. Place the parantha on a hot tawa or griddle.
- Drizzle a few drops of pure ghee or butter and cook on both sides until the parantha has deep golden-brown spots. Cook all the paranthas similarly.
- Serve hot with butter, curd, lassi or tea.
Shilpi Sharma is a homemaker and a food blogger by passion. Her recipe videos are easy to recreate and can be cooked with ingredients that are easily available at home. She primarily focuses on Indian cuisine. You can follow her on Instagram @myexperiencediaries